Every child is different and has different sleeping patterns. Children are happy and comfortable when you do not disturb their routine schedule or surroundings. However, there comes a stage when your child has to move from a cot to a bed. When you child shows any signs of discomfort or displeasure or climbs out of the cot, then it’s time to say goodbye to his/her cot and say hello to big boy/girl bed. Moving your child from a cot to a bed? The process of switching your toddler from a cot to a bed can be a difficult task for both you and your toddler,as your main priority is to make sure he gets a restful night’s sleep in his new environment. However the following are the reasons why you need to switch over from a cot to a bed.
1. Even if your child feels content in a cot, he may have outgrown. If you feel that he is really scrunched and squeezed up then it is time to move him to a bed. 2. It is advisable to move your child from the cot to a bed when the cots rail is at his chest level when he stands up. He may easily climb out of the cot which may prove to be a risk.
3. If you child has started using the toilet then it is the right time to opt for a bed. This will enable your child to access the toilet easily during the night hours.
4. When a new sibling is on the way it is better to switch him to a bed in order make room for the new baby. However make sure you give yourself time to tackle this before the arrival of the new born baby.
The following tips will ensure transition a smooth and fun experience for both the baby and parent.
1. Never force and move your child to a bed all of a sudden, coax him instead. Make the transition gradually so that the child is ready to accept the changes. If he is content in his cot and you don’t need the cot for the next baby give him some time, let him stay there comfortably till the move becomes absolutely essential.
2. Make sure to get your child involved in preparing the bed. Let him choose the sheets and let him help to assemble it and also keep his stuffed toys on the bed to impress him. Pick out his special stuff toy and leave it on the bed. He will be definitely fascinated to use his new bed. 3. If you are moving the cot away to another room, make sure to put the bed in the same place where the cot was. This assures him a sense of security and safety.
4. It is always better to move the cot away to another room as the child is likely to ask it.
5. Make sure to fix a bed guard to the bed to prevent your child from rolling off the edge.
Tips on choosing a toddler bed: If you are on the lookout for a toddler bed, make sure to keep the following in mind.
1. It should be built tough and sturdy to withstand your child’s wiggling, jumping and bouncing.
2. Make sure that the height of the bed is as low as possible to avoid falling out.
3. Equip the bed with a bed guard to provide sufficient room and space for your toddler.
4. Buy a mattress that best matches the bed in order to assure a comfy, snug fit.
5. Above all make sure that the bed and its accessories meet all safety standards.
Conclusion: Moving a toddler from a cot to a bed should be a fun and exciting experience for both child and parent.