At our nursery in Rugby today children made delicious gingerbread friends, they all helped one another to mix the ingredients. Practitioners involved the children during the cookery experience and assisted them when needed, the children enjoyed using the cutter to create their very own gingerbread person.
If you would like to make these gingerbread friends below is the recipe:
- 350g plain flour
- 1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 level tsp ground ginger
- 1 beaten egg
- 100g butter
- 4 level tbsp golden syrup
- 175g soft light brown sugar
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger. Rub in the butter, then add the sugar and mix well. Stir in the syrup and the beaten egg.
- Knead together until the gingerbread mixture is smooth, then roll out and cut into shapes. Cook at 180C for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Now use fruit and sprinkles to turn them into your friends.